Friday, February 26, 2010

Death of My Brain

I was reading that article in Falling Into Theory called "Death of the Author" and maybe it was that it was translated from French to English, but I had a hard time wrapping my mind around it.

From what I could gather, he said that nobody every has any original ideas, that our brains are just giant dictionaries full of everything we've ever heard or read or whatever. This made me think, "Well than where did the first ideas come from?" His answer was that they come from God.

He said that when we read a book we just go to that dictionary in our head and then we "write" the book based on the stuff we already know. Thats what he meant by the death of the author, I think. He says that authors don't create ideas and stuff they just put words on a page and that we, the readers, are the ones who write the book.

Kind of cool, but man it hurts my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment