Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Questioning the Classics

I'm right in the middle of researching for my issues paper, the climactic assignment of English 150. Our class's topic is about religion in America. I decided to do my paper on censorship, especially book banning.

So I've been reading all this literature criticizing christian fundementalists in the South for trying to ban a whole bunch of classic literature based on how it contraticts their interpretation of the Bible.

What I thought was funny is how this wasn't even an issue 100 years ago; at least I don't think it was. But as the times change, so has the diversity of our literature.

I don't blame the book banning activists but I also think as long as there are people who want to read certain books, they should be allowed to read them. That's the American way.

No comments:

Post a Comment