Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Our Greatest Inheritance

In my Tagalog class today we read and discussed an essay entitled "Ang Ating Pinakadakilang Pamana" which means "Our Greatest Inheritance." The author talked about what he thought to be the greatest gift our forefathers have left us: literature.

He went on to say that all the other stuff like technology and art and culture are great gifts but the literature left behind by our ancestors is on a different level. His reason was that when we read literature, we can go with the author and experience what they experienced. We get to know them by their writings.

This makes me think of journal writing. I've read the journal of one of my ancestors and I can tell you that what this essay talked about is true. I really got to know my ancestor through his writing.

I'd agree that this is "our greatest inheritance."

No comments:

Post a Comment